Thursday 20 June 2013

Press is to suppress!

Dear readers,

Forgive me. I am not a learnt English writer. Today I am forced to write much in English as an alternative outlet.

I have been actively writing up selectively in my mother tongue, viz. Malayalam for about 25 years. I have written thousands of matters, essays, short stories, novels, poems, songs, and classic hymns even in Sanskrit. Yet unable to publish not even an article in any public media.

As a writer I am of the view that my art work should be very perfect. Perfect by meaning, grammar and language. I have heard that the famous person, the pride of Kerala, Dr. K.J.Yesudas is a perfectionist as a singer. A birth devoted to music. I also wished to have similar degree of devotion to the work I do, whatever it may be. I have worked in many temples as a priest and also at my imaginary office at home as a writer for decades accumulating paper heaps unable to publish.

My native place, Kottayam is well known as the press city. I have repeatedly approached every press only through the formal channel to publish my articles, prose or poem. I used to send well edited matters only. Many of my matters came back without revealing the fault they found. It was contrary to my expectations. Seeing the press media denying opportunity to new writers, I felt that the press is to suppress and not to impress.

The two jobs above said are not parallel in nature but contrary to each other. The priesthood is the training to suffer, while writing up is the training to protest. Then how can an individual do the two mutually contradictory duties together? I am practicing for that. So I am not able to care for publishing. and worried that I can never be a good publisher. Now the internet has made me a publisher, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment